Kristin Miller is an elementary school teacher specializing in English as a Second Language in Queens, New York. She lives with her husband Brian and their yorkie, Lambeau. Kristin plans on staying fit during her first pregnancy by running, swimming, hiking and yoga.
While on a family vacation a few years back, we rented a golf cart to drive around the beach community we were staying at. We made up a song that went “Take the long way home…” because we were enjoying our time together. Instead of taking the easy direct road home, I got to spend time with my niece and nephews. It made me think, how often do we put in the extra time and effort to do something that is good for us?
In my life, I believe in the theory “A body in motion stays in motion, and a body at rest stays at rest.” As a New York City dweller, I lead an active life; however, there are plenty of opportunities to avoid doing extra physical activity. I could take the bus ten blocks instead of walking, or stand on the escalator in the subway station. As a teacher, I’m often caught in the quandary of “I’ll just take the elevator”, or “I’ll keep circling the block for a close parking space”. During pregnancy, it’s even EASIER to make excuses to avoid the extra physical output that can make your day just a bit more active. Today, I want to share some tips with you to help you increase your physical output within your hectic day! Whether you consider yourself active or inactive, consider the extra effort you can put in to continue your pregnancy as fit as possible.
5 Tips to have an EXTRA Active Day!
1. TAKE THE STAIRS! Although it may be breathtaking (Literally), try to take the stairs as much as possible. The cardiovascular exercise from stair climbing is incredible; even in marathon training, it still made me breath heavier at the top!
2. WALK UP THE ESCALATOR! If there is room, walk it out! It will get you to where you need to be faster, and will give your heart some extra pumps.
3. PARK FAR AWAY! Whether you’re in a parking lot or street parking, get a power walk in to and from your car. You could gain half to a full mile by putting in the extra steps during your commute or errands.
4. WALK A DOG! (If you don’t have one, find a friend neighbor who could use the help!) Studies have shown that walking a dog eases stress levels, so this is a two-fold benefit! Make sure you get that canine out there for some good heart pumping walking or running.
5. DROP IT LIKE A SQUAT! Squats are the easiest exercise to do in a small space with no equipment. Whether done on your lunch hour, while feeding your other kiddos, while making dinner, or on a conference call, make a daily squat goal to make your time count!
This post is brought to you by For Two Fitness®. For Two Fitness® is the premier maternity fitness apparel brand, proudly made in the USA and available worldwide. Visit our site to explore our maternity fitness apparel and purchase for you or a loved one today.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Please welcome Alyssa, our latest For Two Fitness Ambassador! Alyssa is the mom of two young girls, and is excited to have number 3 on the way. She keeps fit during pregnancy and postnatal times by walking, practicing yoga, and doing low impact strength training. Alyssa has run a number of half marathons, and is looking forward to participating in one in 2019. Please follow Alyssa on her website.
Please welcome Amanda to the For Two Fitness Ambassador family! Amanda, whose nickname is Panda, is a 30 year old New Yorker living in the UK with her husband and 13 month old baby boy. Panda learned on her birthday that baby number 2 is on the way! Along with enjoying a busy family and work life, Panda stays fit by dancing, spinning, walking, and participating in her favorite exercise - yoga. Please follow Panda on social media, and be on the lookout for her upcoming blog!