Do you struggle with sleep during pregnancy? Read these great tips from Jessica about how to avoid sleep problems during pregnancy.
Don’t you love all the people who tell you to “get all the sleep you can now, because once that baby is born you will never sleep again”? But what about the sleep problems during pregnancy, especially in those last few months? I’m going through it right now so I know how difficult it can be to get a decent night’s rest between the frequent trips to the bathroom, the tossing and turning to get support under your growing belly, and those awful leg cramps that wake you up in agony.
I’m currently in my second pregnancy, so I know how the sleep deprivation feels with a newborn in the house. It’s true that it is so important to get the appropriate amount of rest while pregnant, but how?
I’ve compiled a list of the top tips to avoid sleep problems during pregnancy that have truly helped me sleep better during this pregnancy as compared to my last.
1. Healthy diet. Good nutrition is key for a good night’s sleep regularly and even more important while pregnant. Eating a clean diet that is high in protein and abundant with fruits and vegetables and also balanced with whole grains and dairy, will not only nourish you and your growing baby, but it will help you avoid sleep problems during pregnancy. Avoid eating too close to bedtime and anything that will cause heartburn at night. I have also been juicing vegetables and fruit once a day for the nutritional benefits and have noticed I haven’t woken up with a leg cramp since I started!
2. Consistent exercise. Having a consistent exercise routine will help you avoid general aches and pains that come along with pregnancy and help relieve stress. This will help you fall asleep easier and hopefully sleep longer as well.
3. Drink LOTS of water. I know this may seem counterintuitive because if you drink too much water that is just another reason you will be getting up during the night. However, drink as much water as you can during the day and maybe not as much before bed. By staying hydrated you will avoid those awful leg cramps that wake you up from a dead sleep. This will also decrease/eliminate swelling that can make you feel uncomfortable at night as well.
4. Use HypnoBirthing techniques. I took a HypnoBirthing class this time around to assist me in achieving a natural unmedicated birth. I have been using the relaxation techniques at night and listening to the tracks called “Relaxation Rainbow” they provide to help you relax before I go to sleep. I can’t believe the difference this has made. When I listen to it I fall asleep before it’s over and go into a deeper sleep, only waking up once to use the bathroom around 5 a.m. When I don’t do this I’m up about four times…what a huge difference! If you can’t find these tracks and aren’t interested in taking the course, try relaxing spa music before bed and calm deep breaths to help you relax your entire body.
5. Invest in a pregnancy body pillow. My pregnancy pillow has changed my life…seriously. I use the Snoogle pillow and love how the shape of it provides support for my neck, between my knees and wraps up to support my giant belly. If you are just lying on your side the weight of the baby can cause back pain, which will result in tossing and turning during the night. Go get one…you won’t be sorry, I promise.
Getting a good night’s sleep is essential during pregnancy and I hope this list helps you avoid sleep problems during pregnancy!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Maternity yoga, or yoga done during the course of your pregnancy, is a safe way to exercise and can actually help prepare the body for childbirth. If you’re looking for a way to stay fit or to increase your fitness level safely during pregnancy, read on for some great reasons to give maternity yoga a try...
Wondering what to eat when pregnant? Many expecting moms are concerned about nutrition for themselves and their babies, and wonder about what is safe, what is best, and what is simply unfounded advice. There are many recommendations about what to eat during pregnancy, and it can be hard to tell whether there are good reasons for avoiding or eating certain foods during pregnancy...
What’s so special about performance fabrics? Investing in top quality fabrics makes all the difference for fit, comfort, and performance. We know the For Two Fitness mom is a discerning consumer and only wants the best for herself and her baby. Read on to find out more about the technical features of our fabrics and our commitment to free you from oversized cotton tees and give you your cute gym style back!..